11.30.2009

december 1

Let the countdown to Christmas begin! The kids are tucked in bed asleep and now is the time to get a few things out for the beginning of our Advent celebration. Here is a list of the activities that show up behind our Advent doors each morning. http://www.scribd.com/doc/23411321

I'm trying for consistency with many special things we do for the holidays. I want my boys to grow up with traditions, excitement & anticipation. Christmas is packed with things we'll repeat each year. Here's a new tradition we're starting with "Elf on our Shelf". I've seen this idea on numerous blogs but was originally inspired while reading http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2009/11/elf-on-shelf.html.
I didn't buy the story book this year
but did find this little Japanese cutie on EBay.
He'll show up tomorrow morning on a shelf in our house, will watch over the boys for 24 days and report back to Santa Christmas Eve night. Moving around the house when no one is looking will help him keep a keen eye on who's been naughty or nice.

Another tradition we're beginning is that I'll be wrapping 24 Christmas themed books (off our bookshelf) tonight and placing them under the tree for tomorrow. I read about this idea on http://theidearoom.blogspot.com/2009/11/christmas-books.html and fell in love with it!
Each evening before bed the boys will take turns opening that night's book and will enjoy a beloved Christmas tale.
The same 24 books will be wrapped and opened each year. I think this will be a great way to make our Christmas books special and memorable.
We will also be making a paper chain tomorrow with 24 links. Each morning the boys will rip off a link and have a visual to the remaining days until Christmas.

{I'm feeling quite prepared this year}

All Christmas gifts bought (Check!)
Outdoor Lights Hung (Check!)
Christmas decorations inside setup (Check!)
Christmas Tree up (Check!)
Christmas Cards bought and ready to be sent (Check!)
Preschool Parties @ school planned (Check!)
December Birthday boy's party planned and prepped (Check!)


What's gotten into me?
I'm the queen of procrastination!

1 comment: